Sparky, Marietta, Petite and Crackerjack

It’s marigold time in my garden.

I usually buy six-packs of marigold plants around Memorial Day. But last winter, dreaming of spring, I bought a set of four different types of marigold seeds. It turns out that four packages contain thousands of seeds. Now I have an explosion of color and texture weaving through the yard. And what a bargain! I have seeds left over to plant next year.
Sparky Mix Marigolds have wavy petals of orange, yellow, crimson, gold and bicolor. They are mid-sized, at around fourteen inches tall. These popular companion plants attract pollinators; they are “on duty” as a border around the squash garden.
As their name suggests, Dainty Marietta Marigolds are quite small, and known for the bright yellow petals with maroon centers. They have been the most difficult marigolds for me to nurture, but their delicate flowers are delightful.
Petite Mix Marigolds are only 8 to 10 inches in height, but they bloom in all colors. They are in containers around the yard, and used as annual borders. They are so abundant, that even if the rabbits find them, there is enough to share.
At three to four feet tall, the Crackerjack Marigolds are eye-catching, with large ruffles of yellow and orange blooms. They lend a festive feeling to the yard.

1. Very pretty colors! I like marigolds for their texture as well as their color. Unfortunately, I do not have enough for the rabbits to share. Typically I get to see the bloom in the morning and they are gone by night. I’m going to have to try the seed idea – I would love to have the problem of too many! πŸ™‚

1. I am realizing that the big marigolds like Crackerjack are really useful. If you can keep them protected for the first couple of weeks, they get too tall for the bunnies to reach.

2. H.J. for avian101 July 26, 2021 at 8:17 PM

Very pretty flowers. I haven’t seen any of these in Georgia. πŸ™‚

1. Thank you. I bet Georgia is just amazingly beautiful and lush at this time of year!

1. H.J. for avian101 July 28, 2021 at 4:36 PM

Yes! πŸ™‚

3. So pretty, I have always loved marigolds and planted them year after year. I was told to plant marigolds in areas you wanted to deter mosquitoes. Is this true? I did it, but I never knew, lol. πŸ™‚

1. Some say yes, and others say no. My local garden shop owner says no. But, I don’t care either way….looks so pretty!

1. I agree with you, either way, they are pretty. I always had success with them. ☺️

4. Yes, so pretty! I’ve tried marigolds in my shady yard, but there is not enough sun for them. Love the different varieties you featured.

1. Thank you! I planted zinnia seeds as well, and they are just starting to bloom. I will definitely do seeds next year.

5. That’s an amazing marigold variety. I missed my window of opportunity to sow seeds for fall flowers but will try to remember next spring.

1. Buying seeds online last winter was one way I cheered myself up in the pandemic. I have loved seeing the marigolds bloom, and the zinnia seeds I planted are just starting to bloom now. Really fun!

1. Good for you, Julie. I look forward to seeing more photos from your lovely garden.

6. These are lovely. I have always liked marigolds. I used to plant them to mix in the veggie garden but I got out of the habit. Thanks for reminding me, and I will get some seeds this spring.

1. I have really gotten into seeds this year, and realized how easy some plants are. Along with marigolds and zinnias from seed, I grew parsley, basil, sage and oregano from seed as well, with great success. However, lavendae, one of my favorite herbs, did not grow at all. Such a miracle to watch!

1. It is miraculous and rewarding to grow from seed. I have not tried lavender seeds. I have never had luck with chives or spring onions (scallions) from seed. But I really need to get more back into growing veggies. Changes in seasonal temps make it more tricky though.