Close Up and Far Away

Photos from a late afternoon walk at Wachusett Meadow Wildlife Sanctuary, Princeton, MA.

Female, Male and Juvenile Hooded Mergansers on the Wildlife Pond
Blue Jay and Northern Cardinal Near the Bird Feeders
Gray Squirrel Swinging in the Copse Near the Bird Feeders
Common Grackle Hunting Seeds on the Ground
Female and Male Mallard on the Far Side of the Wildlife Pond
Eastern Cottontail with a Gray Squirrel and Sparrows Near the Visitor’s Center
Eastern Towhee and Blue Jay Under the Feeders
Eastern Cottontail Close-up
Eastern Towhee Under the Bird Feeders

1. Love the picture of the blue jay and cardinal together.

1. Those blue jays and cardinals are masters at photo bombing any feeder pic I try to take. 😉

2. What a wonderful variety of beautiful birds and the cottontails and squirrels must be enjoying the spring too.

1. Thank you! I am certainly enjoying spring along with the squirrels and cottontails! 😉

3. An eclectic variety of birds and animals, wonderful photos!

1. Thank you. Gotta love spring. I am so enjoying green grass in the photos!

4. Wonderful to see the various birds and animals. The blue jay and cardinal certainly make a striking pair.

1. The jays and cardinals come frequently to those feeders. I’ve often wondered if the other birds and creatures feel more safe when they are around, because the moment the “red and/or blue” appears, I know a whole bunch of critters will join them soon!

5. Wow! Lovely and amazing photos! My favorite the Blue Jay and cardenal, beautiful colors!
    Thank’s for share, Julie. Have a wonderful time!

1. Thank you, Elvira. I hope you are finding time in your busy writing schedule to enjoy nature!

1. You are welcome, Julie. I hope too, it’s so relaxing and nice.
        Keep well.

6. Wild things abound! Very cool to see the towhee and kestrel, not ones I usually see.

1. The Audubon here is trying to get kestrels to nest here, thus the special box. Last year was my first ever site of a kestrel. 😉

7. H.J. for avian101 April 26, 2022 at 10:05 PM

What a wonderful bunch of creatures, I like them all, Julie. The Hooded Mergansers are so lovely. Great shots my dear. 🙂

1. Thank you for your kind words, H.J.!

8. I love that shot of the cardinal and blue jay together. Dazzling colours!

1. They don’t seem to mind being together. Fun to photograph!

9. So many amazing birds, so many wonderful moments. I love a Common Crackle. I don’t have photos of this bird, never was able to capture it. A Mallard duck is on a show. He is so wonderful. Jay and Cardinal are together! That is very unusual! Great photos and so colorful!

1. Thanks Kaya. It’s fun to compare the bird life in our different regions of the United States, isn’t it?

10. Beautiful captures, Julie! I’d love to get one of my Cardinals and Blue Jays to be in the same shot for me, I’m jealous! 😉

1. Thanks, Donna. At the Audubon, they throw seeds on the ground around the feeders, so the squirrels don’t need to climb feeders. As a result, many birds, such as the jay and cardinal, also hang out together on the ground. Makes for fun shots!

11. Great photos! Such a wonderful variety of critters you were captured!

1. Thanks for your kind words!