1. H.J. for avian101 April 27, 2022 at 9:08 PM

The American Kestrel is a gorgeous raptor, small but beautiful. Thank you so much, Julie. 🙂

1. They are not as common in Massachusetts as they used to be, so the Audubons are putting up nesting boxes for them to help them out. I’m glad you liked the pics!

2. Wow! It’s a beauty the bird, colors, composition. I love it! Thank’s for share Julie.
    Nice day!

1. You are welcome, Elvira. I imagine that in Mexico, you must be surrounded by beautiful and exotic birds! ‘-)

1. Thank’s Julie. Yes we have a lot of beautiful and exotic birds. But in the city is not to easy to see them. And the bird that I see are too far for a closer photo. Nice day!

3. What a beautiful bird! I’ve only ever seen photos of them. What a treat it must be to actually see one.

1. Hoping for a nesting couple there. Fingers crossed!

4. I can visualize him using his tail to keep his balance on the post while the wind is blowing.

1. Yes, he was quite an an acrobat!

5. This raptor is so beautiful, so colorful! The photos are wonderful and so enjoyable to look at!

1. Thank you for those kind words!

6. What a beautiful little raptor. It is interesting to see how he is balancing using his tail against the wind.

1. The kestrel is the smallest raptor in North America, and although common in many areas, its population has declined in New England. I loved watching him balance with his tail in spite of an extremely windy day. Such a little bird, but so tough!

7. Wow, gorgeous captures!

8. I really liked how you captured this kestrel in the wind, Julie. His striking colors and markings, and the use of the tail to stay balanced. One of my favorite American raptors.

1. Kestrels used to be plentiful in Massachusetts, but are “a bird of concern” these days, because of losing so much meadow/farmland habitat. I am so hoping to see a family nest in the box there!