Revolutionary Timekeepers

The Willard House and Clock Museum, North Grafton, MA

The Willard House and Clock Museum in North Grafton, MA.

From the information board at the site:
The family of clockmakers who lived and worked in this house helped revolutionize timekeeping in America. The Willard family was one of the premiere clockmaking families during and after the American Revolution. The Willards held several patents on clockmaking innovations, and their work made clocks more widely available–while increasing their reliability.
The saltbox, a popular colonial house design, was a frame dwelling with two stories in front and one behind and a roof with a long rear slope.

Simon Willard invented the popular banjo clock, a wall clock with a banjo-shaped case.

1. Beautiful museum, but I haven’t been inside since covid. ;-(

1. Fascinating, I never knew, I love historic stories like this.

1. I love historic stories, as well!

2. H.J. for avian101 January 12, 2022 at 7:22 PM

Visiting this Museum must be quite interesting. All you need is time! Thank you, Julie. 🙂

1. LOL! Lucky “time” is no longer a problem, as I am retired!

3. If ever this pandemic ends, that is one museum I would like to visit. I am keen on all things having to do with time.

1. It’s a wonderful museum, and well worth the visit. On that same trip, so you could visit Delaney Clocks, which is totally fab, as well. (Delaney is the clock expert on American Antiques Roadshow.)

1. Will do! Time, time, time…

4. Lovely captures. This is such a beautiful building and I love how it’s been so well maintained.

1. Thank you. I’m glad you enjoyed it. There is something very sturdy and stable about the architecture of this period, I think.
      -Julie

5. That clock in the window must be magnificent.

1. It is! Such a wonderful museum. I plan to go back inside after these “covid times” end!

6. Hi Julie. I saw these photos and thought of you and one of your earlier posts: https://mobile.reuters.com/news/picture/starlings-in-the-sky-idUSRTS4HZTG

1. Oh my! Those murmurations are astonishing! Thanks for sending them. Hope you are well and staying safe until this next phase passes.
      Best,

7. What an interesting museum – the clocks must be fascinating to see when in non-pandemic times, and I really like that saltbox design (thanks for the link). I enjoyed the smaller architectural details in your photos too.

1. Thanks, Carol. I have been inside in non-pandemic times, and it is wonderful. Sigh….for now, I’ll just take pics from the outside…. 😉