A Yard For People and Rabbits

Rabbits visit my gardens each Summer. This is how we co-exist.

I expect the rabbits to appear in my yard for “Summer Vacation” any day now.
High raised beds keep the bunnies out of the Spring greens. However, they are welcome to all the lawn clover they desire.
New fencing around the pole beans and squash means the beans are off-limits to rabbits this year, as well. Sometimes they pick at the hostas nearby, and that is acceptable to me.
Tall pots encase my favorite red-blossomed Scarlet Emperor beans. The wild bleeding hearts next to the pots are plentiful, though.
Removable fencing keeps the largest vegetable bed protected, but with easy access for me.
Grow bags keep the Yukon Gold and Early Red potatoes safe. However, the clover and wild daisies left in between the bags are available for munching.
Wild strawberries are everywhere in the yard. The rabbits can eat their fill!
The cold frame provides great protection from both weather and critters in three seasons.
Kale is safe in a small enclosed garden on the edge of the woods.
Time to get some fencing around this cucumber and nasturtium tripod. If you have heard that rabbits don’t like nasturtium, don’t believe it!
The rabbits have ignored the tomatoes in previous years. Plenty of Solomon’s Seal nearby to eat instead.
Garlic has not caught the rabbit’s fancy, either. But will they go for the lettuce purposely planted among it? Stay tuned…
Hopefully, this blue bucket will protect the eggplant. Wild Strawberry is nearby as an alternate selection.
Thank goodness the blueberry bush is out of reach! Alas, the birds are drawn to it like magnets.
A restful area for both people and critters.
One final touch added after the garden is planted.
Wishing you wonderful times outdoors this season!

I live in Central Massachusetts in the United States--a wonderful area for nature, art and culture. Using a compact camera, I celebrate daily life found here in a variety of local landscapes throughout the changing seasons.

1. Wow! Beautiful and much work so well done. Photos good as usual.

1. Thanks for visiting!

2. Your yard is beautiful. Wonderful place to relax and enjoy the view.

1. Thank you for your kind words, and for visiting!

3. Really nice fencing and an organized, pretty vegetable garden. You’ve given the bunnies plenty to eat outside the vegetable garden. : )

1. Thanks! No bunnies yet, but I know one evening soon I’ll feel their quiet presence.

1. I love how their noses wiggle as they chew, as long as it’s the clover they’re feasting on…

4. Your backyard looks gorgeous!

1. Thanks so much! Love having “greens” now, but “tomato time” at the end of Summer is my very favorite time!

5. Love how you have made your yard a place for the rabbits to share with you! 🙂

1. They are really fun to watch, but “gardening with bunnies” is a bit of a pain for sure!

6. Your garden is an amazing oasis, Julie, both for humans and for rabbits, birds, and various other creatures, I suspect. I’m surprised you have any time for blogging considering the hours you must put into your gardening.
    Enjoy this beautiful time of year.
    Best,
    Tanja

1. Thanks for the kind words, Tanja. My yard is both peaceful and busy. Usually during the busy gardening season I give up on blogging, but this year I am trying to blog the seasonal changes as they come. Well see. 😊 Hope you are well, and enjoying these times of more freedom and fewer masks.-Julie

1. Unlike some other work, I find that gardening is a deeply satisfying activity and I get the sense that it’s similar for you. Keep enjoying it! And if it inspires you to share some of your experiences and observations, all the better.

2. Yes, “deeply satisfying describes it perfectly! Thanks for your thoughts! -Julie

3. My pleasure, Julie. Have a pleasant week!

7. What a beautiful yard! We’ve planted white clover in our yard and I’ve found that keeps the rabbits well fed and out of my other stuff.

1. I do love the rabbits. Last year, two of them had distinctive markings, so we actually got to “know” them a bit.