Festive Finch

A visiting House Finch brings a touch of warmth to a chilly New England landscape.

In Native American traditions, finches are associated with celebration and joy. This cheery finch also added a pop of color to my yard when it settled on a lilac branch on this chilly day.
Color coordinated with the bittersweet berries and lilac buds nearby, it shared its surroundings with a Dark-eyed Junco. The bird’s carotene based diet, found in orange and red plants, creates the bird’s startling plumage.
Being half Irish, I was especially charmed to learn that in Celtic Mythology House Finches foretell good fortune!
Good Luck!

1. It brightened up my (chilly) day! 😉

1. Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it!

1. Beautiful! A HUGE flock of goldfinches have descended upon our feeders the past two days, I wonder if they carry the same message? If so, we are doubly blessed!

1. Ha! Goldfinches symbolize prosperity and abundance in Native Mythology. Yay!

1. Oh, I love that, thank you!

2. Handsome House Finch! Red, blue, and white go well together.

1. Thanks. I’m glad you liked the color combo.
      -Julie

3. Such cheery little beings. Love it when they drop by.

4. H.J. for avian101 February 6, 2022 at 10:05 PM

I saw the House Finches this morning in my backyard too! They are nice birds. Great pictures, Julie. 🙂

1. Thanks, H.J. I don’t have feeders up (do to the squirrels and mice they draw) so the birds come for the berries on bushes mostly. The House Finch has been around more than usual this winter.

5. Good luck indeed to be able to get such lovely pictures of that house Finch.

6. Wow! Amazing and beautiful house of Finch. Thanks for share Julie.
    Good Luck!

1. Thank you for visiting, Elvira. I appreciate your lovely comments!

1. You a re welcome Julie, t is a pleassure .
        Have a wonderful time!

7. Whenever I see one, I think of a friend’s exclamation years ago: “It looks like it’s been dipped in raspberry!”

1. Hey, I’ve heard that, too! 😉

8. So pretty! We donhave such colourful finches here!

1. Hurrah for bright color in the winter!

9. Handsome fellas! I love my House Finches too! 🙂