Mockingbird Mix

Northern Mockingbirds, Princeton, MA

The Northern Mockingbird at Wachusett Meadow didn’t notice me as it busily feasted on sumac.
These mockingbirds surveyed the meadow as they perched on bluebird houses. Their coloring and markings puzzled me, as they were slightly different than those in the first photographs. Birding friends: Any thoughts?

1. Gorgeous captures. 😊

2. Julie, I have never seen Mockingbird bird before. It’s beautiful! And the bird was so kind letting you to take amazing portraits of it. And very detailed. The first two photos with those red flowers are so eye catching.

1. Oh, Kaya, whatever would we do without being able to take photographs of our bird friends!

1. Thank you! Bring on the Spring!

3. Wow! Wow! Wow! Amazing, beautiful! I love it! Thank’s for share, Julie.

1. I like the simple gray coloring and delicate marks.

1. Me too, is beautiful.

4. H.J. for avian101 March 12, 2022 at 9:37 PM

I like the Mockingbirds very much. I see them daily, They are always present when I fill the feeders with seeds and as soon as I turn around the y are eating, I loved your photos, Julie. 🙂

1. Thanks H.J. Hope these days are finding you well!

1. H.J. for avian101 March 14, 2022 at 7:59 PM

🙂

5. Wonderful pictures! Unfortunately, I can’t explain the differences.

6. I’m envious, Julie. Our mockingbird won’t arrive for a while. Maybe some of the differences in plumage are age-related, e.g. juvenile birds molting into adult birds. But this is pure conjecture.

1. Thanks, Tanja. I love the chatter of both mockingbirds and catbirds in the summer. 😉

1. I do, too, Julie. I also can’t wait for the catbirds’ return–and that of all the other migrants! 🙂

7. Beautiful captures. What a cute ball of fluff.

1. So glad you like it!

8. Jim, lovely photos. Mockingbirds are my favorite songbirds. These mockingbirds look very different from those here in SW Florida, but also very charming!

1. Thanks so much for visiting and commenting!
      -Julie

2. p.s. found your post via pvcann, where it seems we both had brothers who delivered “Grit” back in the day…;-)