1. And aren’t they lovely on the move? What a treat to see them.

1. Merganser are such a sign of spring!

2. That’s “mergansers”….I’m surely getting old!

1. No worries! As I know from years of writing, typos happen.

2. I’ve never seen hooded mergansers here on our river, only American mergansers, which nest every spring. Maybe the hooded prefer ponds?

1. Maybe that’s true. I’ve seen American mergansers every once in a while on the pond, but they never stay and nest as the Hooded mergansers do.

3. H.J. for avian101 March 21, 2022 at 9:46 PM

Good looking birds! Great shots. Thanks, Julie. 🙂

1. Gotta love mergansers…so busy, and they look serious to me, for whatever reason. 🙂

1. These ducks are so cool, I think!

1. Thank’s, Julie! I believe it too!

4. Their hairdos always make me smile, Julie, especially when they get ruffled, as one of your photos illustrates. 🙂

1. That’s funny you should say that, Tanja. My first idea for the post was to call it “A Bad Hair Day” !
      😉

1. I don’t really think they could have bad hair days! 🙂

5. Absolutely love them. Caught some here the other day too.

1. They brighten up my day. So small and full of concentration. 😉

6. Lovely shots

7. Love these, Julie! The Mrs really has a big ‘do going on there! hehe Female mergansers always remind me of Phyllis Diller. 😉

1. Yes, they do remind me of Phyllis Diller! They have such energy zipping around the pond!