Painted (Turtle) Portrait Redux

Out with the old, and in with the new: a turtle sheds its shell.

Last June, I photographed a turtle on this exact log at Mass Audubon Wachusett Meadow. Yesterday, the turtle I saw there was shedding its shell. As a turtle grows larger, the outer portion of the shell, called the scutes, must fall off to make way for the newer, larger scutes.

1. Amazing! I have never seen a turtle shedding its shell until now. Thank you!

1. Me neither, till this year. I was very pleased!

2. Very cool capture, Julie. Best, Babsje

1. I always take turtle pics on the same log in the same pond, but I don’t know if it was the same turtle all this year. I aspire to your ability to know creatures individually! 😉

1. Turtles live a long life. If they’re territorial at all, it could be. 😊

2. Hmm, I think I’ll get out some older pics, and see if I can find some markings. Thanks for that tip, Babsje!

3. H.J. for avian101 September 13, 2021 at 8:01 PM

Very good that you could capture a turtle molting! Excellent, Julie. 🙂

1. Thanks, H.J. I’ve taken lots of turtle pics, and this is my first time I caught the molting.

4. So cute! I didn’t know each section peeled on its own. So interesting.

1. I read that the shell layers are similar to material that makes up our fingernails. So much wildlife, so little time to learn!

1. Very cool fact. Thanks, I love learning about wildlife!

5. Even though I am on a blogging break, I had to look at this one, and I’m glad I did. I’ve never seen anything like it. I never knew how turtles moulted. Fascinating!

1. I didn’t know that about turtles, either. I spent quite a while at the pond looking at it, thinking, “Gee, that’s a funny bunch of reeds on that turtle’s back!” 😉

6. Wow, these are awesome shots, Julie! I knew turtles shed their shells but have never seen one in real life does it. Great sighting and documentation!!

1. Thanks Donna! My first seeing it, and I take pics of turtles on the pond every year. Not sure why I missed it before.